Wednesday, July 10, 2013

July 9th, 2013






Hello from Wisconsin!  I am excited to tell you that I am attending a 5 day workshop entitled Wayfarer's Wanderbook and Windfall Cloth on Madeline Island.  This workshop is with India Flint, the author of Eco Colour.



She creates beautiful printed cloth or clothing using plants, bark and other items found in the outdoor environment. Day 1 consisted of making 3 bundles for the dye pot.  The 1st bundle included items gathered from the ground and placed on a square of cloth.  To this bundle we added a rock and wrapped it up tightly with a handmade cord!


handmade cord
gatherings


bundle

a surprise visitor

 For the 2nd bundle, we were allowed to pick items, wrap them up very tightly and add to the pot of water.  The 3rd and last bundle was wrapped around a stick.  Here are some pictures of the dye pot before water was added.




For myself, the results of my pieces were not as impressive due to my fabric choice of cotton.  Silk and wool work best unless the cotton is mordanted.

my samples

silk and wool samples
goodies on the line drying

 More about this workshop later.......!













1 comment: