Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Is Alum a Safe Mordant for Baby Clothes?

Yes! I use alum in my mordant process. Mordanting is a means by which to help the fabric take the dye. Depending on whether or not your fabric is a plant based material versus an animal based material (wool), you will need to choose different types of mordants. Some dyes do not require mordants. Avocados and walnut hull dyes for example do not require mordants to adhere to the fabrics. 

Aluminum Sulfate (alum) is a substance found in the earth and can be used to help brighten colors. It can also extend the color life on the fabric. It however can be an irritant if applied to the skin. For my dyeing, only  a small quantity of alum is required. After I wash the garment, it is perfectly safe for an infant to wear.

To make sure alum was a safe mordant, I contacted the regional poison control center number listed on the Center for Disease Control website. The operator informed me that after the garment is properly washed, the alum should not be harmful to the child. He also informed me that large volumes of alum must be ingested in a child with kidney deficiencies, in order for it to have poisonous effects. 

It is very important when dyeing, that you make sure that all of the elements you use are safe for you or your family and friends. I recommend contacting the free poison control number (1-800-222-1222) to verify that all of your substances are safe. 

Happy and safe dyeing!


No comments:

Post a Comment