Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Learning as I go....

May 7th, 2013









One of the reasons I started this blog was to record my progress, or lack thereof.  I realize as I continue to venture into the unknown, mistakes will be made.  Like the one I just learned about.  The subject of mordants seems to be vaguely confusing.  Case in point, the garments recently dyed with red tulips looked soooo pretty when I took them out of the dye bath.  My short-lived admiration turned to dismay when the beautiful color washed right down the sink and out of the garment.  What went wrong?  I scoured the onesies, then added the alum in the dye bath.  That got me thinking about the product I was using (alum).  One of my books said to use potassium aluminum sulfate.  The product I was using was simply labelled alum from the spice section in any grocery store.  Upon further investigation from the company of this product, I learned that the full name (not found on the label) was ammonium aluminum sulfate.  Ah hah!  Maybe this was the problem.  I also read that I should be adding cream of tartar.  I will do this with my next dye batch.  Right now I am waiting for my designated dye pot to come.  I will keep you posted!







No comments:

Post a Comment